Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mmm...Magic Chocolate Fudge Pudding

I'm a big fan of making things rather than buying them.

This is a recipe my Mum gave me and it is delicious!  I decided to do a different take on it and it wasn't completely successful but who cares, it still tasted good.

So this is Magic Chocolate Fudge Pudding (or in the pics below, Magic Chocolate and Coconut Fudge Pudding)!

(The magic bit is that you put the sauce on the top and when you take it out of the oven, the sauce is on the bottom!)


 Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan-forced).  Grab your ingredients and off you go!
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 cup of chopped walnuts or peacans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa (or you can use drinking chocolate)
1 3/4 cups hot water

Since I am making mine with a coconut twist, I have replaced the nuts with shredded coconut and used 3/4 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of hot water rather than using all water (in hindsight I think the better switch would have been the 1/2 cup milk for 1/2 cup coconut milk).


Add the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt to a bowl. 


Add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth.

Then add the nuts (in my case, I added shredded coconut).


Mix together the brown sugar and the 1/4 cup cocoa or drinking chocolate (I prefer the cocoa myself as it is a bit less sweet) in a separate bowl.


Pour the batter into a greased oven dish and smooth the top with a spatula.


Sprinkle the brown sugar/cocoa mix over the top.


Then pour the hot water (or in my case, hot water/coconut milk mix) over the back of a spoon on to the top.  I recommend you do it over the back of a spoon otherwise the pressure of the water digs holes in the batter!


Bake for 30 minutes, then voila!  Magic Pudding!  This one doesn't look as good as usual because my sauce didn't all settle properly.  The original recipe it definitely the best but the coconut did give it a little something.  Usually you end up with a nice springy chocolate cake with a delicious thick chocolate sauce underneath.  Kind of like those self-saucing packet puddings you buy but a million times better!

You can also make this recipe in 6 ramekins (like the one below).  I often do this for dinner parties.  Just cook for 15 mins or so (you can push with a finger on the top of the pudding and when it springs back it is ready).


I usually serve with double cream and strawberries but today, I'm having it au natural!

1 comment:

  1. I usually use about half cocoa and half drinking chocolate as then it's not too strong and also not too sweet. And yes, I think it would be better to replace the milk rather than the water in the sauce with coconut cream/milk. It sounds good with the coconut twist - I'll have to try it! Cheers, Mum xx

    ReplyDelete